Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Very Long Day

Well, the day is over...and it was a very long day. I didn't get to see everyone that i wanted to see, but it was a rather interesting day nonetheless.

The day started off around 6:30am. I wanted to watch the Soyuz landing to close out my increment. I made a pan of cinnamon rolls for breakfast and watched NASA TV for the landing footage. As the previous post stated, the crew landed safely and was in good health.

The first stop was the regularly scheduled saturday morning football fun. This week was a little different...we had visitors. The Tobin's, Jim and Jenny, were in town for a wedding. Jim is the originator of saturday morning football and that is where i met him and his wife. I had only known them for a few months before they moved to D.C. So, it was nice to see them again.

My original plan was to leave football around 10:30 go home and get cleaned up and then head to Boondoggles. Well, that didn't quite work out. I decided to go straight to Boondoggles from football...yes, i was unclean and in my football clothes. I had just pulled up and Ginger had a Jack & Coke on the way. Thanks Ginger. For a while it was just me, Ginger, Al Drew and Joan Higginbotham. Little by little more and more Increment 14 members arrived at the party. Part way throught the celebration, Mike Lopez-Alegria called Ginger's cell phone to say hello. Wow...talk about surreal. It wasn't a few hours earlier that i watched a recovery crew pull him out of a Soyuz capsule. So very cool.

Just as the party was getting into full swing, i had to bail to get to Luke's b-day party. I flew home took a quick shower and headed out to the park. The weather was great, the food was great, the entertainment was great, the birthday boy had fun. Josh, the photographer took some pictures of the event. if you ask nicely, maybe he'll post some?

Next it was home for another quick shower and a shave. I had another party to attend. By now it is about 5:30pm. The Merancy's (saturday morning football friends) were throwing a BBQ for the Tobin's. After several hours of eating, drinking, and socializing, i decided to call it a night. I started to get a headache and it kept getting worse. I don't normally get headaches, so it is really an annoyance when i get one. The night ended about 11:45pm. If you do the math, that is about an 18 hour day.

Call me crazy, but i still managed to spend some time writing you this update. I hope you had a productive day. For those of you that i saw today, it was good seeing you. For those that i missed...well, i missed you. Have a good Sunday.

I'm off to bed...

No comments: