Saturday, June 09, 2007

Studio Update

I'm happy to report that the studio is nearly functional. In fact, this post comes to you from the studio. We'll get to why in a bit. Right now, i'm listening to some tunes through my new monitors! So far, i'm pretty impressed with how they sound. The bass is tight, the treble crisp and clear...a very flat response (which is what you want out of studio monitors!) From just the few tracks that i've listened to so far, i've heard things in the mixes that i never heard before. So, i think i'll be happy with these monitors.

To use the monitors, i have to run through the guitar interface (which acts like a sound card). I haven't even started to learn how to use the guitar interface yet. The knobs are tempting to turn, but i'll read the manual before messing around with anything. I did do a test run of the guitars through the interface. Worked like a champ! So, i know that i, at least, can practice through the interface and use the monitors for what they were intended. I am happy about that.

The one thing i have yet to prove is that the recording software works with the system. I did do a quick recording the other day before work. So, i know that i can record. The one thing that i did have a problem with, and no time to troubleshoot, was the playback of the recording. i wasn't able to hear what i recorded. I will reserve the weekend for that troubleshooting. Once i prove that all components work together, i'll start importing Finding Reason's recordings and start my practice sessions. At that time, i will call the studio functional. I'll then start planning the cosmetic updates, which i will then move everything out of the studio (do the cosmetic updates) and move items back...getting rid of things that don't need to be in here.

So far, things are working out like i pictured in my mind. I wish everything i envision would pan out. The final touch on the studio will be to name it. It actually already has a name, but i will reveal the name when it is complete. For the time being, i invite you to come up with a name for my studio. If I like it, I may just use it, with your permission of course.

No comments: