Saturday, June 09, 2007

Computer Update and Comparisons

Laptop is back to normal...i have regained wireless access. Luckily, the reconfig was not as bad as i thought it might be. So, the laptop is fully functional with newly installed anti virus security.

I also worked out the playback issue i was having with the recording software. I now have configured the system to record and playback...all through the monitors. I'm learning a little more about my guitar interface. Things are progressing smoothly. Tomorrow, i will transfer some Finding Reason files over from the laptop to run here in the studio software. Then i will start practicing the music they way i should be when the other guys aren't around. Once i do a little practicing with the Finding Reason files, i'll declare the studio fully functional from a guitarists perspective. I don't have a microphone to record vocals...i don't ever see the need for me to record vocals...not my vocals anyway.

As promised, i have created a few comparable computer systems to what i'm running here in the studio. 1. Dell 2. HP

So, the studio machine is running:
Asus P5n E SLI motherboard (onboard sound, firewire, USB 2.0, LAN)
Antec NEO 500w power supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 processor (1.8 GHz)
2 GB Dual Channel RAM 2 DIMMs
400 GB SATA HD (3 partitions: 1. office 2. studio 3. storage)
nVidia e-GeForce 7100 (256 MB) graphics card
Emprex 16X DVD writer (had this already)
Windows XP Pro (had this already)
Norton Security 07

I spent just over $700 before rebates. I haven't added them all up yet, but if i recall correctly it was over $100 in rebates. For easy math, let's say i spent $600 for the new system. That is a savings of $300 off of a comparable system. Not too shabby. Now, was that $300 savings worth all my time and effort? Well, it did cut into my social life...oh wait...no it didn't...i don't have one of those right now. So, i'd say it was worth it...I at least have a system that'll last me for quite a while...the previous system lasted 7 years with a few upgrades along the way. The new system has room to grow too...i can add another graphics card if i wanted as well as quadruple the RAM. So, i shouldn't need a new computer for quite some time. Although as i was walking through Frys, a nice media center PC box with a nifty little touch screen caught my eye...

Ok, onto another subject. Have you ever seen Borat? All i can say is this movie is in a class by itself...i don't know what that class is, but it is definitely reigning in its class. I definitely laughed a lot...wanted to look away at times, but it was like a car wreck...you wanted to look away but just couldn't. Yes, i'm probably a little dumber for having seen it, but i was entertained...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Niiice!