I went for another run today. I did a short 1/2 mile for a calibration run. I stopped only long enough to reset the Nike+ device. Then i kept going. About a mile and a half in, i noticed that the distance just wasn't tickin' off like it had been. I thought to myself, "i know i've run further than that." I started thinking about possible issues and then it donned on me. The sensor is askew.
So i stopped to check it out...and sure enough the sensor was sideways. You see, Nike had this grand scheme to get you to buy their shoes. We'll put a little pocket in the bottom of the shoe for the sensor...that way you'll have to buy our shoe if you want to use our nifty sportband or iPod nano device. Well, you don't have to buy their shoe, but you must understand that the sensor must be a certain way for the unit to work correctly. I was aware of this and tried to keep the sensor in the right orientation. But without a little pocket in my shoe, i just had to wedge the sensor between my shoe and foot. I have ordered a special pouch that goes on top of the shoe which will fix this sideways sensor issue...but in the meantime, i have to improvise.
My improvisation cost me about 1/2 mile of distance. The sideways sensor is probably also the cause for a loss of about 1/10 of a mile per mile ran on my first run. So, my first few runs will be slightly off in distance, which sucks, cause i actually ran more than what the sensor picked up. Such is life i guess.
Today i made 5 miles. However, i won't lie, it wasn't in one continuous stretch. After mile number 3, i walked a 1/2 mile. My legs were hurtin'. I wanted to get to that 5 mile mark, so i put in two additional miles. The Nike+ sports band only got 3.86 (+0.49 ran on the calibration run). The other 1/2 mile or so was due to a sideways sensor. The good news is that on the calibration run, the Nike+ was only 1/100 off. Not too far off.
I borrowed Carla's pedometer to do a comparison between the Nike+ and the marked trail. Turns out that the pedometer was further off than the Nike+. But in the end, I ran 5 miles, and walked a mile.
And, if that weren't enough, i came home to mow the backyard. Since i was working all weekend, i didn't get a chance to mow my lawn on its regularly scheduled day. That wasn't fun.
I paid some bills and loaded the dishwasher. Now, i'm gonna relax the last 2 hours or so before bed.
Other things i need to do this week include: take clothes to the cleaners, hit the gym to lift and swim, HIT THE STUDIO, do some laundry, get a haircut, do some general house chores, go grocery shopping...i'm sure there are more things for me to do...it's a busy week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment