Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Horelica House of Music #20 -- Vacation Edition

Ok, so here is one of the posts that have been floating in my head. I call this one the Vacation Edition because all of the following were acquired during my little vacation. Here is a small sample of the music i've added to my collection.


Flogging Molly -- Drunken Lullabies


Ok, this is for all the Irish out there. Answer me this...what is it about Irish music that makes one want to drink? I was listening to this album and another album (Whiskey on a Sunday) while painting my studio. Part way through the album, i felt i could use a drink. I actually paused whilst i contemplated that question. Anyway, Flogging Molly is a good one to listen to...especially around March 17th. Rob, that was for you.


Miles Davis -- Kind of Blue


Again, while painting my studio, i listened to some Miles Davis. It's no secret that i'm a fan of blues and jazz. I remember back in the day when i worked in California, i'd go to a local hotel bar to kick back and relax to some jazz and blues. A coworker would bring his collection of records and play them for the crowd on Blues night...i think it was every other thursday night? or something like that.

I've heard jazz in a new way this time around though. It was my first time to listen to this album through my monitors. Wow!!! all i can say is it was a new experience. Everything was so clear and the music felt almost 3D. It was so clear, you could hear the wire brush swirling around the drumhead. Amazing. I have another use for my studio (once i get my love seat in there). I can tell the studio is going to be a place to relax and listen to jazz and blues...the way it was meant to be heard.


Buddy Holly -- The Best of Buddy Holly, Millennium Collection


Here's my salute to a fellow Texas boy. The Lubbock native rocked the country, sadly, for only a few years. His time with us was cut short by a plane crash. But the music he provided us will last forever. Good Stuff...check it out.


Korn -- Korn


Now, for a little edgier stuff. I introduce you to Korn. If you've heard any song by Korn, you've heard that unmistakable punchy bass and gritty vocals. A lot of their stuff does sound very similar, but if you are feeling a little angry, this should help you cope. I recently saw a Korn performance on Music HD the other day...i was pretty impressed with the guitarist...one guitarist was making a lot of loud noise...i was baffled at the amount of power coming out of one guitar. Pretty good...

Well, that covers this lengthy and long awaited edition of Horelica House of Music. Hope you enjoy...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice choices, all told. "Kind of Blue" is one of my favorite albums. Korn's music is fine, but ever since they gave the Tidewater (VA) area (which is full of military folks) the middle finger by intentionally running sound checks during the national anthem at a concert in Virginia Beach, I've a bit less respect for them. Musicianship is one thing. Intentionally trying to offend those who give you a profession is another.

You have to ask yourself -- would Miles do that sort of thing?

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I got a shout out! Sweet! Flogging Molly rules! Slaite!

-R

Melissa said...

I saw Korn in concert, bagpipes and all. I was impressed. Don't really care for their music anymore, but they did put on an excellent show.