Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Let's play a game...

Josh's post has inspired me to think about automobiles.
So, here's the game:
You have been given an opportunity to pick out any vehicle you want and customize it however you want. The amount must not exceed $100k. There are caveats to this unbelievable deal. You can only have one vehicle...you can't get two cheaper ones and you don't get the difference between the amount of your vehicle and the $100k. I think that's pretty much it...one vehicle worth up to $100k.
What would that vehicle be?

For me? It would be this



Yeah, a 2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged. At this point i haven't decided on a color, but it would be either black or silver. I think the beast comes with just about everything, so i don't imagine any upgrades. If I wnet with the black, i might upgrade the rims to a nice set of black rims...black on black with some dark tinting. That of course would probably come close to maxing out my $100k limit.

Well, with all the vehicles out there...what would you get with $100k.

17 comments:

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

Holy cow, Todd! That's an awesome question! There are so many good choices, however my first gut instinct goes like this: 2006 Cadillac CTS-V. 400hp 6.0L V8, 6speed manual. That's only 56k fully loaded with nav system and sunroof. I'd add a supercharger system to put it up around 600-650hp. (probaly need new computer and exhaust sytem to go with it) That'd be 10-15k probably. I'd have to make sure the suspension and wheels/tires were up to the extra power, so add another 10k. That's still only 76-80k. I might go with a carbon fiber hood and trunk lid to save on weight, so add another 10k. I'd be happy with that. :)

Joshua said...

Rob, you probably might want to leave a couple grand for engine overhaul. I'd imagine that beast would have to be rebuilt pretty regularly.

Joshua said...

2007 Ford Expedition Limited with a West Coast Customs super technologically advanced interior. I’m thinking voice activated and commanded GPS navigation, XM-Radio, satellite internet, Direct TV, Bluetooth integrated, mobile communications, flat screen monitors, DVD players, Play Station 3, super sound system, bullet proof glass and exterior, automated concealed handgun storage, heads up display, super tinted windows, turbo boost, radar, and that I suppose about does it. Man that would be a sweet ride.

Todd said...

Hey Josh,
Any chance you'll ever break away from Ford?

Joshua said...

Not likely.

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I'm not so sure about the rebuilding you mention, Josh. GM has been using forced induction on their engines from the factory since the late 70s. (turbo Firebirds in the late 70s and the Turbo Buicks of the mid eighties, the '89 Turbo Firebird - the fastest car you could buy that year from anyone and then the supercharged Pontiacs from the mid nineties thru just recently). Supercharging on a GM smallblock is a pretty safe route from what I've seen and heard.

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

Josh, with all that stuff in the Expedition you better have some serious boost in that engine! Better set aside some money for rebuilding.... :) hehehe

Joshua said...

Man, sounds like I struck a nerve??

Those cars that you mentioned were V6s, and they did not add a supercharger that makes 250 horsepower....like you stated your CTS-V would have. If you added such a thing to a bone stock engine it would not be long until your replacing something on it.

As for the Expedition, it's stock 300 HP and 365 lb-ft of torque is plenty enough to tow your CTS-V once you break down somewhere.

Todd said...

hey don't forget about the Range Rover...400HP and 425 ft-lb of torque...that's a good hauler too...

hehe

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

No nerves struck, sorry! re-reading what I posted I realized it sounded like that. Yes, all those engines were V6s, my point being that the technology on GM built engines isn't new. I will concede that 250hp is a lot to add to a stock engine, and problems could occur if you are putting your foot to the floor all the time. (Ok, so maybe I'd do that.. hehe) Supercharging is cool though b/c you get your boost throughout the whole range. I suppose I'd probably need a new clutch with it too.. :)

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

Todd, with a new computer and a few tweaks to the exhaust/intake on that Range Rover, you could add a bunch of power to that supercharged engine! I was debating during my original post about bringing up the Jeep Grand Cheerokee SRT-8. 6.2L Hemi, 425hp with 4x4 all for around 40-45k (I think). You could add a mild supercharger to it and get upwards of 550hp. I've heard out of the box they'll do a 13.2 1/4 mile! (that's what my Camaro did!)

Joshua said...

Would you guys feel werid driving around a $100,000 car??

I know I'm probably over protective of my 25K Mustang....can't imagine something worth 4 times as much.

Todd said...

No, i don't think things would be much different. The big worry is getting into an accident -- which isn't your fault -- i.e. being rear ended. That was one of my biggest fears with the cruiser...while it eventually happened, it wasn't as i was driving it off the lot.
I think i'd be a bit more careful where i park in parking lots and such, but my driving style and nerves wouldn't change much.

Now, something that screams exotic and is worth more...might result in a lot of nerves...

...now remember, you were given this $100k vehicle, so it's like free money! hehe...

Joshua said...

Yeah if it was free money then I wouldn't have a hard time driving it around. Probably mostly have to worry about it getting stole, since that car alone would pay for a small house.

Anonymous said...

I like this question. I checked out a BMW SUV and a Hummer H3 but after a little research, I found the perfect car for right under 100K. Its a speciality built car from Panoz Auto Company out of Georgia. I originally heard about this company on the TV show Made in America on the Travel Channel. The web site is www.panozauto.com in case anybody wants to check it out. The car I found is the Esperante Convertable, 5 Speed, Black Magic Metallic with Medium Tan interior. The specs are this beauty are a 4.6 V-8 engine with 305 horsepower @ 5800 rmp and 320ft/lbs of torgue @ 4800 rpm. The price for this basic car-$95,256. And this was the cheapest model they build with the basic package. And as with any web site, they have a build your own feature and that's pretty fun.

Anonymous said...

Does it have to be a new car? I would use the money to get a mint condition '67 dodge charger with the 426 hemi. That would be the ultimate coolness.

Todd said...

Old, new, or somewhere in between...it's all good.