Saturday, February 18, 2006

Debbie, this one's for you...

Today, in the cold, gloomy Houston weather, Heather and I met an old friend for lunch. No, Debbie, "old" does not refer to your age. For those of you who do not know debbie, let me give you the short story.

Debbie was one of my college professors in the Aero department. My very first class with Debbie was Numerical Methods in the Spring of '97. After enduring that painful class, I decided once wasn't enough (actually it wasn't my decision). So, another round of Numerical Methods...

I must break now and describe Debbie's style of teaching. Imagine this 15 foot whiteboard...clean and pristine when the class starts. Now, as Debbie rolls in (if you had an 8am class, this would be around 8:09) you could hear a collective crack as everyone cracks their knuckles in preparation for the 51 minutes of intense speed writing. The lecture begins and 15 minutes later, you are tearing up with a severe cramp in your hand. (You know, i'm slightly exaggerating) She didn't even slow down when she was injured in a small firey incident. Her bandaged hand seem to move faster...perhaps it was the medication? Then came the homework, usually lots of it. Oh, and the tests were hard. I think this is where my hair started to turn grey...

So, Numerical Methods X 2, Propulsion, and a Rockets class...Four times the pain and pleasure. Let's face it, she was nice to look at. Let me rephrase that...she is nice to look at! You still have it debbie!

And, if four classes weren't enough, i decided to work for her one summer.

Somewhere in that span of time we transitioned from student/teacher to friends. I'm not sure when that happened, but i'm glad it happened.

Now, Heather and Debbie were introduced at one of Debbie's Pool Parties. I can't remember which one, but I know there was some wine and some dancing involved. (What was it, Big Country?) Ever since then, we've been friends.

Alas, I went west, debbie went east and heather stayed put. We all met again at our wedding. Debbie graced us with her presence (thanks for that!).

So, it was good to see debbie again. Since I know you read this from time to time, i hope you enjoyed my story. Enjoy the next few pictures...



Me and a couple of fine ladies!



Here's that wild shirt that you spoke of today. Thought you might like to see it!
Hope you had fun in the Houston area...perhaps next time you could stay a little longer...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks Toddy...I just caught this. This brought tears to my eyes. You really touched me. I hope that ... I don't know. I hope I made a difference to people. And I guess, you told me I did for you.
thanks a lot. I can't tell you what it means.

love you,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh yea...and I do love that shirt! As you know. And, yes, it was Big Country!!! Great song..Big Country by Big Country!

D