Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Flying Solo

Having been a pilot for better than 14 years, I'm no stranger when it comes to flying solo. Unfortunately, time and money has been the one-two punch that keeps me from flying these days. I've taken on a new form of flying--my job.

This week is my first shift flying the International Space Station solo. After hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hours of training, the government trusts me with a multi-billion dollar vehicle and for the time being, the lives of 2 men. Luckily the only problem i encountered last night was a computer crash. Easily recoverable. As I stated in my last post, the onset of the grey hairs started with Debbie's tests...now, i know it continues with my job. It can be stressful. As of right now, there are only 10 (Tarik, are you number 11?) certified people in the world to do my job. I am the 18th ADCO to get certified since Flight 5A. Sometimes you have to take a step back and take a look from a higher view...it's an amazing job, and i'm proud to be a part of it.

You might be able to see me at work...tune into NASA TV (if you have it) and when they show the International Space Station Control Room, i'll be the bloke at the front left of the room...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NASA TV is available at MPEG-2 digital C-band signal via satellite on AMC 6, Transponder 17C in continental North America.