Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Welcome to Increment 14 and Guitar Lesson #1

Well, I suppose I should fill you in on what "Welcome to Increment 14" means. Well, you see...We have a new crew aboard the ISS. The new crew is referred to as Expedition 14 and consist of Michael Lopez-Alegria (commander), Mikhail Tyurin (flight engineer 1) and Thomas Reiter (Flight Engineer 2). Suni Williams will replace Thomas in December. I've had the privilege of meeting and talking with this wonderful crew. This new crew on the ISS means that there are new people on the ground taking over the lead roles in each discipline. That is where I come in. I am the Lead ADCO for Increment/Expedition 14. For the next 6 months or so, I'm in charge of running the increment for the ADCOs. What that really means is I have to cover all the meetings and do all the grunt work to make the increment move along smoothly. Now, the ADCO family will help me out, but a lot of the decisions will run through me. Eeek...am I ready for this responsibility? Um...I don't have a choice...Yes, I'm ready. Oh, and I'm the Lead ADCO for ISS assembly flight 13A.1. There are two flights before my lead flight (12A.1 in December, and 13A in February). 13A.1 is, I believe, in the May 07 timeframe right now.
What this all means is that I'll be super busy for the next 6 to 9 months. While this may seem like a nuisance to some, I look at it as a blessing. With all that is going on in my personal life, I need a good distraction. Nine months of intense work should keep me occupied...
I look forward to a long and exciting Increment. I'm sure there will be stories to tell along the way...stay tuned.

Guitar Lesson #1:
Thirty minutes goes by very fast. I met with my instructor and we went over some basic things. I think I'm a bit of an anomaly for this guy. He's used to teaching 7 year olds. So, he's going along at a pretty good pace. I'm not sure I understand all he's saying right now, but in time it will come. I'm always a bit nervous playing in front of other people. But I suppose that something I'll have to deal with. So, I've got some basic things to work on for next week. It's a bit monotonous, but I think it is necessary. It'll help me in the long run. I'm not sure I'll post every lesson, but the first one is important.

Well, I'm off to practice some guitar...
Stay tuned for more...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

13A.1 NET June 07.

Anonymous said...

Josh needs to stop living in the ADCO glory days.

Jena said...

Congrats on your 1st guitar lesson! I think it's great that you're starting from the beginning...I did piano lessons for about 10 years. Just ask Rob how good I sounded during my at-home practice sessions! :o)

Joshua said...

I've seen the Green christmas video with Jena jamming on the piano, it's good stuff!