The latest sad news came to me in an email today at work.
Vladimir Syromiatnikov has passed away. Ok, I know you are wondering, who the hell is that?
Vladimir "The Big Cheese" Syromiatnikov was a world-wide-known designer of mechanisms and systems for space technology. He worked under Korolev, the father of practical cosmonautics. He had a hand in Sputnik. The docking mechanisms that we use on the International Space Station were of his designs. He was a well respected individual in the Russian space community as well as the American space community.
I had the great opportunity to meet and chat with Professor Syromiatnikov on my trip to Moscow. I also got an autographed copy of his book, "100 Stories About Docking."
Here are a few pictures of Vladimir:

Here I am watching Vladimir autograph my book.

Here is a group of us in the old Mir Control Room in Moscow. Vladimir is the third on the left in the back row.

Here we are intently listening to Vladimir as he describes the latest project that he is working on.

Here is another group shot. Vladimir is in the center. I was lazy and didn't feel like cropping the picture...sorry.
Anyway, those that were on that Moscow trip last year spoke briefly today about how we were glad we had the opportunity to meet him. He even included his email address in my book...I never did email him. Now I wish that I had emailed my newest Russian friend. It was an honor to meet you Mr. Syromiatnikov!
Here's an interesting bit of information...the nickname "The Big Cheese" comes from his name. Syr is cheese in Russian. And of course, he elevated in the ranks of Russian stature and became known as the Big Cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment