Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Are Service Plans Worth it?

Well, it depends really. You don't want to buy a service plan if it is nearly as much as the item itself. However, for refrigerators and most digital cameras it is worth it. I have personal experience in both categories.

First the refrigerator: I had the refrigerator go out on me a couple of weeks ago. Well, the service plan was about $150 for 5 years. Well in addition to having the repair man come out for no charge, I am also entitled to $200 for spoilage. I think that has paid for the service charge right there. Had I not paid for the service charge i would be paying the repair man and still have to suffer the spoilage cost. So, lesson learned there...buy the service plan for large appliances.

On to the digital camera: I bought the service plan for my 2003 digital camera for $60 for 4 years. The LCD started acting up on me...so i took it in. Got it fixed and cleaned...total cost to me $0. Total cost to someone else $172. Well, that alone paid for the service plan and then some. Got it back and still didn't work...so i had them send it back. Again...another repair was done on the camera. Not sure of the cost of that one...but for me it was $0. Several weeks later, i see the camera needs repair. I get a call from best buy saying they aren't going to repair the camera...but i'll get a new one. I was hoping for store credit, but they wouldn't give it to me. So, I had to get a new camera. This is the one i got.



So far it has been a great camera. I wanted a digital SLR, but those are much too expensive right now. I had to compromise, so i went with a high zoom camera with an SLR type body. This camera has a lot of features and a great zoom lens. BUt i'll let you read the several reviews that i used to make my purchase...er exchange.

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com
www.steves-digicams.com

So far, I haven't been able to test the camera to it's capabilities. But here are a few pictures that i took with the camera.

Here is a picture of the moon taken tonight (11-08-05). This shot was hand held, with full optical zoom (12X) and full digital zoom (4X). Not bad for a hand held shot.



Here is a squirrel on my fence...i shot this one through my french doors.



Here are the ducks at work chillin' in the shade. Not a great shot, but fairly cool, nonetheless...



Well, that's about all for now...but keep checking back...there should be more pictures posted soon. I hope to get better at using the camera and all it's features.
And yes, Service Plans are worth it...when you need it! Be smart and do what's right.

No comments: