To whet your appetite, the next few posts will be some previous concert reviews that I have written. Although, I'd say the Smashing Pumpkins review was my best work thus far. This first one is a review I did for the Blue Man Group.
Something Blue
Blue Man Group Review -- August 17, 2003, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion: We’re here to see the famed Blue Man Group. The night is very hot and humid…the kind of night where sweat seeps from your skin while you are sitting doing nothing. The only relief is a breeze from an approaching storm. We’re in the uncovered reserve section, so we hope that the rains don’t come, although that would be a welcomed relief. The rains never come…but the light show makes its presence known. And the show has begun…
First up are Tracy Bonham and her band. They played some new tunes from her upcoming album. Not too bad. I’m not a big Tracy Bonham fan, but her work is recognizable. Tracy also does some vocals with the Blue Man Group. I will say she has a really soothing voice with quite a bit of range.
Next up are Venus Hum. This trio has that ravey, electronica pop thing going for them. It actually wasn’t too bad. From what I could tell, Venus Hum ran everything (or almost everything) through their laptops. They also used a few keyboards, random electronica gear and a Fender Jazzmaster—I didn’t hear the wonderful tones from this lovely guitar for they had been altered, but how cool is it that a Jazzmaster is in an electronica band. But for the most part everything was computer generated, and with today’s technology, it sounded really good. You can get more info from their website: http://www.venushum.com
As stage crews cleared the stage for the Blue Man Group, tickertape type electronic signs generated scrolling messages to keep the audience entertained; one sign on the left side of the stage and one on the right side. And each sign had it’s own personality. One sign spewed random internet facts, and the other commanded the audience to do and say things. Then, one sign claimed to be better than the other and the other got offended and “left”, when I say left I mean turned off.
And now, for the big show…the Blue Man Group is unleashed. A giant curtain hides our view from the stage…backlighting gives way to hairless figures rhythmically beating on some fabricated contraption. The tempo ascends and wham, Blue Man Group and band slap you in the face with and explosion of sound and a mind numbing sequence of lights. I like loud guitars and mind hollowing drums…and this was all that and more.
The stage production was outstanding, and it should be. Marc Brickman, best known for his work with Pink Floyd and Nine Inch Nails, collaborated with BMG for this Rock Tour. The visual was just as appeasing as the audio, a pleasant display of carefully orchestrated lights and video footage make for an active show. Having listened to the Complex album several times, I already knew what I was in store for from the sonic realm. Not one sound was made from these funny little blue men, but the humor was loud enough for all to enjoy. Little stage antics made it comical; it brought the audience closer. But don’t let the blue voodoo catch you off guard…these are skilled musicians.
One of the most impressive parts of the show was when all three blue men participated in a tag team style rhythm showoff. Blue Man number 1 starts a good beat the tubulum (see the website), and a seconds later, Blue Man number 2 takes his place without missing a note. Blue Man number 3 replaces Blue Man number 2 and the pattern goes on…all in time, all in rhythm, all in synch. Very impressive.
The rest of the band performed brilliantly. They were definitely a part of the show, and not some backing band. They interacted with the blue men in a comical fashion. If you like drums/percussion, this is a show for you. Watching the guys in the back, all moving in time, with the same rhythm was mesmerizing. It was as if they were connected to each other somehow. I’ve never had much rhythm, if any at all, but just watching those guys go, was a show in itself. The guitarists were definitely an added plus. Naturally, me being a guitar guy, watched these guys quite often…powerful riffs and licks that stuck in your head…great stuff.
I’ve never seen the theatrical blue man shows, but from what I’m told there are no lyrics, just instrumental. That’s okay by me, but there were some talented vocalists that help make the complex tour a true rock tour. Of course, Tracy Bonham and her smooth voice were nice. Venus Hum helped out on a tune with one of the coolest dresses (worn by Venus Hum’s Annette), I’ve ever seen. Different colored lighted bands from shoulders to knees made up this dress. Each band flashed in time and flowed rhythmically to the sounds. It’s hard to explain, so I say, see it for yourself. And Peter Moore did an excellent job on the vocals. I like his version of Sing Along better than Dave Matthews (then again, I’m NOT a fan of DM—I’m surprised he even got mentioned in my article). I even liked Peter Moore’s version of The Current. Gavin Rossdale did a great job and his voice fits the song better (but then again, I’m biased), but Peter Moore did an excellent job.
And the show is nearing an end. Rock Concert Movement # 456, fire copious amounts of graffiti and streamers into the audience. Ok, so this is not a rock concert standard, but it’s a Blue Man Group standard. I enjoyed the show; it made me laugh, pump my fist, bob my head, stomp my foot, and it made me forget about the heat! This show is highly recommended, see it if you can. For more Blue Man Group information visit their site: http://www.blueman.com
No comments:
Post a Comment