Bowie at the Pavilion
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion -- April 29, 2004
It’s been nearly 13 years since David Bowie’s last appearance in Houston. So, it is without surprise, that I got my hands on a pair of tickets as soon they went on sale. David Bowie is a living legend; his career spanning over 4 decades. He’s done it all; music, art, movies, theater, and modeling. At the age of 57 he is still writing music and rockin’ the world. And he’s doing it better than many artists half his age. Bowie’s 26 songs, 2 + hour show was simply phenomenal. But before I get into the details of his performance, I must say a few words about the opening band: The Polyphonic Spree.
The Polyphonic Spree, who hails from the great state of Texas, is a unique band like no other. Their style can be described as “symphonic choral pop.” At first sight, they look like they belong to a cult (all wearing long white robes with flowing long hair). I’m sure that is something they hate to be likened to…but I think it gets the visual point across. Their happy go-lucky message is packed with energy. Let me tell you, I’ve never seen a tambourine take a beating like I have the other night. The exuberant energy was infectious. I definitely had a smile on my face…simply amazed with the amount of energy and talent these folks have. The choir was so energetic and active, I was genuinely concerned the platform they were on was going to come crashing down. That it did not do. Now, let’s talk about the variety of instruments used: French horn, flute, piccolo, trombone, trumpet, violins, violas, classical harp, synthesizer, piano, Theremin, drums, guitar, bass, and a poor abused tambourine. I may have forgotten a few instruments, but I think I listed the lot of them. The Polyphonic Spree was simply amazing…great performance!
Bowie’s stage consisted of two raised platforms decorated in faux limestone, one on the left side and one on the right, both of which were joined by a platform that spanned the rear of the stage. A large video monitor spanned the width of the stage as well. Inverted leafless trees lined the outer platforms for that earthy feel.
The lights went dark and a cartoon movie of Bowie and his band began playing on the giant video monitor at the rear of the stage. Then one by one, Bowie’s band began walking across the rear platform and eventually took their places. And then as if from no where, David appeared front and center and started into his hit Rebel, Rebel. Bowie is a master at his work. His personality and candor made for a show to never forget.
Forgive me if my memory isn’t spectacular…but early in the show, I believe after Rebel, Rebel, David welcomed the fans of Houston to the show, joking candidly, “Well, it’s been almost a month since we were last in Houston…” He, too, knows it’s been ages since he’s been to Houston. Hopefully the Houston crowd gave him such a warm reception that he’ll want to return. And warm had more to do with the weather than the crowd. Again (David was quite the comedian this night), David jokes, this time about not sweating during his performances—except in Texas. You gotta love the warm, humid Texas weather.
Bowie continued on with his set, picking up with a song from his new album Reality, followed a work from the Earthling album. Bowie talked about influences and such, prompting him to perform a song by the Pixies…one of his influences. At the conclusion of that song, Bowie then went on to chat with the crowd some more…”Let’s talk about clothes…” He then jumped into Fashion, followed by an excellent rendition of All the Young Dudes. At the conclusion of Dudes, he spoke to the crowd, “Let’s go Chinese.”
This led into nothing other than, China Girl, which was followed by Modern Love, Fame, and The Loneliest Guy. As The Loneliest Guy was coming to an end, Bowie knelt down on the stage and put his head on the ground in some sort of yoga pose gone wrong. After getting out of the pose he got up laughing. He explained to the crowd “that last move just felt right, I don’t know why I did it…What does it mean?” He then performed the yoga pose again…Laughing again, he said, “…it proves I have a strong neck…” Next on the set list was The Man Who Sold the World, which had the crowd on their feet again (the older legs and backs of some of Bowie’s followers were getting tired…and many people had begun to sit down). This is probably one of my top 10 favorite Bowie tunes; an excellent live version. The hardest and loudest rockin song of the night by far was Hallo Spaceboy. The thundering percussion and bass and that signature guitar riff made you feel it underneath your skin…An absolutely amazing performance. He then played a few songs from his previous album, Heathen: Sunday and Heathen (The Ray). Although it’s quite funny that on the set list we acquired from the sound engineers at the mixing board after the show has ‘Heather’ as a song…Bowie has no songs in his catalog named Heather…funny coincidence?
Bowie took a short break to introduce his band. This is a perfect time to do the same, as there were some surprises, at least to me. He started off with his lead guitarist, Mr. Earl Slick. Earl Slick is a legend himself who worked on some of Bowie’s mid 70’s albums: David Live (1974), Young Americans (1975), and Station to Station (1976). Next was Mike Garson on piano. He’s also worked with Bowie before: on the Aladdin Sane album and then on the Outside tour and Earthling tour. Catherine Russell was introduced next. She is on backing keyboards, backing vocals, and guitar for several tracks. Bowie joked that he had done her hair before the show. Fulfilling the percussion duties was Sterling Campbell. He’s worked with Bowie on Outside and ‘hours’ albums. Next, Bowie introduced his other guitarist, Gerry Leonard—a fellow non-American. Bowie joked that Gerry was his fellow Brit (since all the other band members are American)…when really Gerry is from Ireland. Gerry has worked previously with Bowie. Last but not least is the ever-talented Gail-Ann Dorsey on bass and vocals. She’s been with Bowie’s band since 1995, and her signature onstage presence is the lack of shoes…she plays barefoot. I guess the few surprises that caught me off guard were Earl Slick and Gail-Ann Dorsey. I honestly didn’t know who was playing for Bowie this tour…he’s played with many talented people and has changed personnel many times through out his long career. It was really nice to see that Gail-Ann was still with him…Bowie has an awesome band and it showed that night.
As Bowie introduced his next song he said, “The next song is a song I did with a good friend of mine, Freddy Mercury. Freddy couldn’t be here with us tonight…” As he said this he looked skyward as if acknowledge Freddy’s presence. This song is of course, Under Pressure. Once again, another song performed superbly. Bowie then did Days, The Supermen, and Reality. Again, Bowie began chatting with the crowd saying, “I know what your thinking, when is he gonna play something we know?” Two of the three previous songs were off of the new album and the other was another obscure Bowie classic. Of course those of us that are fans of Bowie knew those songs. He then jumped into Ashes to Ashes. Bowie addressed the fans for the next song, “This was one of the first songs I wrote after coming to America…” Quicksand is the name…and a song that I have not heard before. Next was a Velvet Underground classic, White Light/White Heat. For Bowie’s next song, he alluded, “There are some of you out there that I’m afraid of…” This of course leads into I’m Afraid of Americans. A spectacular version of this was done…One could feel the bass and drum drilling into the pit of your stomach…
The next song he dedicated to all the “heroes” out there…Of course that song is Heroes, another Bowie classic. Bowie and crew left the stage to prepare for the encore. Wow…at this point I’m nearly exhausted from it all. It’s been a tremendous ride and experience. Yet, there was more to come…
As the crowd chanted for more, the sound level increased dramatically…ladies screaming at the top of their lungs, guys belting long blasts of whistles (I included). Other contributed to the noise by banging on the seats in front of them. Only a few minutes passed and the band returned to their posts. Bowie came out on stage with a Stetson cowboy hat with the brim curled up around the hat. He then explained that his next song was inspired by a show that “…both kids and stoned adults like.” The Uncle Floyd show started back in 1974 and has a cult following in the New Jersey – New York City area. The song is called Slip Away. This is one of my favorite songs off of the new album…and I can’t explain why. I was pleased he performed it. For this song he brought out the Polyphonic Spree to do some of the vocals and backing vocals on it…this time they were in multi-colored robes…the Spree added a wonderful touch to this song. He thanked the Spree for being there and applauded their performance. “If Ziggy were a Texan...” he walked stiff bodied, much like John Wayne would have to cool his throat with a sip of water…and then jumped into Suffragette City. And the final song of the evening was the classic Ziggy Stardust. Yes, all good things must come to an end…
Once the song was done, all band members were arm in arm at center stage. A bow to the center, a bow to the left, a bow to the right, and another bow to the center…and the band waved goodnight as they exited stage right. Bowie stayed out a little longer waving goodbye to Houston, Texas, for an 8th time. It was an end to a phenomenal show!!
Bowie did not act like he was 57 years old…he was talkative, friendly, funny, a true legend. He never seemed to get tired. He seemed truly happy to be doing what he was doing. It was honor to be there. It was also a great honor to see Earl Slick, Mike Garson, and Gail-Ann Dorsey, Sterling Campbell, Gerry Leonard, and Catherine Russell. They are a superb band. I’m glad that we were able to make that show. It may be a while before he comes back to Houston. Now I have Bowie memories to go with the Bowie art on my wall, the Bowie books on my shelves, and the Bowie DVDs and CDs in my cabinet. David Bowie is a true world icon…he’s done amazing things, I’m sure there is more to come.
Here is the night’s official set list:
1. Rebel, Rebel
2. New Killer Star
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter)
4. Cactus
5. Fashion
6. All the Young Dudes
7. China Girl
8. Modern Love
9. Fame
10. The Loneliest Guy
11. The Man Who Sold the World
12. Hallo Spaceboy
13. Sunday
14. Heathen (The Ray)
15. Under Pressure
16. Days
17. The Supermen
18. Reality
19. Ashes to Ashes
20. Quicksand
21. White Light, White Heat
22. I’m Afraid of Americans
23. Heroes
Encore
24. Slip Away (with the Polyphonic Spree)
25. Suffragette City
26. Ziggy Stardust
A twenty six song set is true testament of a legend. Unfortunately, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion has a curfew and he had to cut a few songs from his encore. Heather was able to get a copy of the set list after the show. She asked nicely before the show started. Hopefully I can get some pictures posted soon…of the set list…cameras are not allowed…and I wasn’t going to chance bringing in my camera. But I can take pictures of the tickets and set list. I was hoping he’d perform Space Oddity, since Houston is a space city after all. But he didn’t…I’m not bitter or disappointed in any way…The show was Phenomenal and definitely something to remember.
Monday, December 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment