Thursday, May 11, 2006

Today's word brought to you by the letter W.

As i was reviewing a paper that my mentee wrote, I noticed a spelling error. Well, I thought it was a spelling error. I asked Sloan if she used spell checker. She said she did. So, that got me thinking, is Word screwing up again. I put the word into Word and well, the word was actually a real word. Now, my curiosity was peaked. What does this word mean? I know, you want to know the word.

Wether. Sloan typed wether instead of whether. Now, the vocabulary word is not suitable for young children.

Wether:
Pronunciation: 'we-[th]&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, ram, from Old English; akin to Old High German widar ram, Latin vitulus calf, vetus old, Greek etos year
: a male sheep castrated before sexual maturity; also : a castrated male goat

This is a new insult word to add to your bag of tricks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everytime someone say's the secret word scream real loud!!

Anonymous said...

Remember in the Bugs Bunny cartoons when Bugs used to call Elmer Fudd a nimrod? I used to think it was an insult as well, but I was completely wrong. I learned in college choir, yes you can laugh now, that Nimrod was a hunter in the Bible. So I had to laugh at that whole thing. So I often call some people a nimrod and its ok.