Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Overrated

This topic has been on my mind for some time now. It was not till now that i found the time to write it down; i wish it were better written, but my brain is on vacation right now. Below follows some of my thoughts on overrated things...you most likely won't agree with me, but that's okay...this is my journal. here it goes:

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English language defines overrated as follows:

o•ver•rate ( v r-r t )
tr.v. o•ver•rat•ed, o•ver•rat•ing, o•ver•rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

So, now this definition seems very subjective to me, meaning that it is in the observer’s mind or viewpoint. Keep in mind the definition of overrated and its subjective undertones, for it is in the eye of the viewer who defines the perceptions of what is held higher than the other.

To say that air or water is overrated is laughable, for we know that we do not exist if they don’t exist. There are no opinions or perceptions that will change this fact. The next few statements are merely opinions.

I believe the Beatles are overrated. I am in the minority here, but I can’t quite come to grips with Beatle-mania. Don’t get me wrong, the Beatles made some good records. The fab four are/were indeed good musicians; just not as good as they have been made out to be. In fact, I think John Lennon was truly the only Beatle that should be ranked as high. The only Beatles’ song that is worthy of its high praise, is Lennon’s Imagine, a beautiful song with a beautiful message…absolutely fantastic.

I feel there are other artists out there that deserve as much, if not more, recognition than the Beatles. And rightly so, they are recognized with high honors, but it always seems that they are in the shadow of the Beatles. Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, and Dick Dale just to name a few. It always seems there is at least one Beatles’ song at the top of any music poll…Beatles are overrated.

On to another overrated topic: the other week I went to the movies and was shocked at the reception that the new Star Wars trailer received. I think there were more cheers and whistles during and after that trailer than there was for the main feature. I must say it …the Star Wars movies are overrated. They are just movies…is it really necessary to get that worked up about it?

The Star Wars epic is a great story that instills imagination in all of us. But, I’m not one to dress up like darth vader or a storm trooper to go see the movie. Save that stuff for Halloween. And I’m definitely not counting the days until I can see the full story and close the book on Star Wars. When is that last episode out? That should close the book on that overrated epic…hopefully.

And the same goes for that damn Harry Potter and his Lord of the Rings yep, all overrated! Although, I can’t say too much about Harry Potter, since I’ve never seen the movies nor read the books…but I can’t by into the hype that is present there. But the Lord of the Rings…fell asleep during the first movie…didn’t bother watching the others. Again, they are just books and movies…I couldn’t believe the amount of adults that are/were caught up in the Harry Potter saga. I must’ve missed something…

Well, i realize that there isn't much substantiation built into this post, but i wanted to get the thoughts out there before it completely evaporated. Feel free to speak your mind on this topic...

What do you think is overrated?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, technically Imagine is a John Lennon song and not a "Beatles's song". Just had to write to be a specific little ass. Star Wars is not overrated. Now air and water on the other hand.....what a bunch of bullsh*t.

Later
Ramon

Anonymous said...

http://www.komotv.com/stories/34678.htm

I think this guy would also agree that Star Wars is not overrated. I think we ALL can agree that this guy is s bozo and should get a job.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would go along with that.

Ramon

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd

Get John Lennon's Legend cd, it's his greatest hits, if after listening to it you still find that Imagine is his only great song, then your nuts. Even if it doesn't have "God" on it. How can anyone not like "Jealous Guy"

" I don't belive in Beatles, I just believe in me"

Later
Ramon