Saturday afternoon mother nature graced us with her electric touch. A lightning strike hit very very close to the house, if not hitting the house. Damage done, so far: several electronic components including--cable box, two cordless phones, and a hair straightener; cosmetic damage to a mirror; water heater element; and a copper water pipe. Yep, that's right, the copper pipe fed water to our whirlpool tub. The pipe happened to be touching the metal case of the whirlpool tub heater. Simple physics says that electricity takes the path of least resistance...so, somehow, the electricity traveled from the cloud to my house, and down the copper pipe to this metal case...well, the electric current zapped a hold in the copper pipe, nearly flooding the master bath and master bedroom. Luckily the leak was noticed about 30 minutes after the strike. Not too much was damaged...the carpet got a little wet and has since dried nicely. Eleven dollars fixes the leak. Thanks for the help dad!
Now, the water heater is the newest problem to crop up. Noticed when i took a shower this morning that the water was merely lukewarm instead of hot. Took the cover off of the water heater and noticed the charred remains of one of the heating elements. I'll have to do the repair on that as soon as I get the replacement part. For now, we'll be taking lukewarm baths and showers.
Hmmm...should I be investing in a lightning rod? Well, I suppose it could've been worse.
Monday, July 12, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment